Friday, April 17, 2009

Problems & How To Prepare for Tournaments?

Nowadays I had seen most of the junior or adult players had their respective coaches to prepare them for tournament & follow them wherever they go. Example: the coaches will go around to look at other players game that their students are playing or making databases of the respective player. This helps no doubt but in fact the truth the standard of the players now comparing to my generation way beyond it. Those players I meant in my generation were FM Nicholas Chan & bro NM Marcus Chan, FM Lim Yee Weng, IM Mas Hafizulhelmi, IM Wong Zi Jing & his bro Wong Zi Chuang, NM Jonathan Chuah, NM Ronnie Lim, NM Ng Tze Han, NM Dr Ng Ee Vern & others.

When I first started chess, I self-studied & bought lots of chess books for me to progress. If calculate the amount of money I'd spent, mostly above estimation of 10k. I don't have coach to help me but I do have my uncle who pushed me to my limits by challenging me to chess game during club meetings. There was one time I attended the late GM Eduard Gufeld seminar which was introduction of chess pieces & history. Secondly school academics are getting worsen with more homework to the child & also tuition not to forget. If the children comes back from school, tons of homework will be waiting for him/her to finish. This totally killing the child development progress. Thirdly most of the junior players loved to take part in the rapid event compare to standard time control of 90+30 secs increment exceptionally the National Age Group.

Here I would like to share my experiences as player on how to prepare tournaments. 36th Selangor Open will be good for the junior players.

Before Tournaments

1) Prepare at least 1 month in advance before the tournament.

2) Get use to the standard time control & discipline yourself in longer time control. Blitz is good for tactics once in a while but don't play often.

3) Do at least 10-30 chess puzzles daily & train at least minimum 2-4 hours per day. In Vietnam & Philippines the players train at least 4-6 hours per day or more after school.

4) Collect & create player database games from all the competitions no matter locally or international. Do your own summary & analysis of each game without using computer assistance. By depending too much on computer such as Rybka, Hiarcs, Fritz & etc, the player wont be able to create their critical & analytical thinking process. Computer assistance is good to search for better moves that we might miss.

5) Prepare & strengthen your opening repoitre. Do statistics based on your games as black & white & also the outcome of the results.

6) Equipped yourself with FIDE rules & regulations.

7) Get early rest at least a few days before the tournament so that can be fresh. 

During Tournament

1) Bring more water to the tournament because water provides oxygen to the brain especially when we are thinking.

2) After finish in between round, look at other games going on.

3) Take your rest by resting your mind for the next game & don't play friendly games.

4) Before the match starts, don't eat heavy meal or drink carbonated drinks as will make the player fell asleep or tired.

5) Listen to music to relax & don't pressure yourself. If don't have opponent database, go through several opening lines & own weaknesses.

No comments: